Greenmyres Open Day, Sunday 17th October
Come and join us to celebrate the official opening of the Greenmyres Ecobothy and the new paths that we have created in recent years. Gates are open from 12.00-16.00, with the official opening at 14.00. Everyone is welcome to tour the site and familiarise themselves with what the site has to offer.
Sunday's activities include:
- paddleboarding on the pond/lochan, led by Dipper Paddle Boarding
- archery (Deveron Archers)
- led runs of varying distances into Gartly Moor (Huntly Rinnin' Quines and Loons)
- tours of the native woodland planted since HDT's purchase of the site (HDT)
- pond dipping in our new wildlife pond (Aberdeenshire Ranger Service)
- tours of the Greenmyres wind turbine
- and more!
Bring your own picnic or buy a pizza from Haydns Woodfired Pizzas. There will be tea and coffee available throughout the event.
You can get to Greenmyres in a number of ways:
- The Huntly Community Minibus will operate a shuttle service leaving from the Square at regular intervals.
- Join one of our led ebike rides provided by Tim and Darren from Networks of Wellbeing
- Join our guided walk led by HDT's own Rosemary and Jill (meet at 10.30 in The Square, Huntly). Please register on the Huntly, Scotland facebook page
- Cycle up these same new paths under your own steam
- Drive up. There's plenty of parking and you'll be expertly guided to it by Huntly Scouts.
Directions to Greenmyres, which is situated ca 4 miles South East of Huntly, are available here.
And please for the comfort and safety of yourself and others, please follow the practical advice below:
- On the only access road to/from the site, please drive carefully and allow vehicles in/out appropriately.
- Please stay safe. Coronavirus cases are creeping up locally. Please respect Covid protocols on site, including social distancing, wearing a face-covering indoors, hand sanitising, etc. If you can, please do a lateral flow test before coming to the Open Day on Sunday – and stay away if it’s positive!
- If you are bringing a dog, it must be kept on a lead as there are sheep on site.
- Dress warmly/sensibly for a day on a beautiful but sometimes bleak piece of Aberdeenshire hillside in mid-October! Seriously, although the weather forecast is reasonable, the Top of the Glens can be windy and cold! Wear appropriate robust footwear and clothing.
- Please dispose of any litter n the bins provided or take it home with you.
- Enjoy yourself and thanks for coming!
HDT looks forward to welcoming you to Greenmyres on Sunday!